Monday, 27 October 2014

Sunday tee #update

After yesterday's successful morning crafting I felt fairly pleased with myself. I petted those tees a bit, folding and refolding them and admiring my own handiwork.

Just before tea time I decided that it was time to put the tees away. As I laid the smaller tee in the cupboard I gave the oh-so-neat neckline an exploratory stretch. Hmm.


The little bean's head?

I held my breath and tried. It stretched satisfyingly

Double curses.

I haven't decided whether to give the tee to someone with a smaller head (little beans noggin is on the big side) or redo it. Sigh.

Sunday, 26 October 2014

Sunday tee (FO)

Crafting is a rare luxury at the moment, just because my energy and time is sooo limited. The other night I  had to rustle up a plain black tee-shirt for the bean's school dance show (we had tried and failed to buy one, and were running out of time). While the machine was on the table I took the opportunity to stitch up one of those raglan tees I cut out a couple of weeks ago.

This morning, while little bean had a nap and the jelly bean got on with some Halloween crafting, I managed to finish the neck of that little tee.  It was the first time I had successfully attempted to apply a neckband to a knit/t-shirt. There have been a few previous fails, but this time I read a tutorial that made sense to me, and I gave it a go.

We'll just gloss over the slight wrinkle which is - of course - At. The. Front.


I also wrangled a neckband onto a plum stretch velvet tee which I made for the jelly bean in August. (And which looks nicer in real life). She took one look at it and said she didn't want it, but changed her mind today when I finished the neck. Again there is a wrinkle at the front, And I have managed to put it on back wards so the seam is also at the front. But, well, someone on a galloping horse probably wouldn't notice, and as these FOS are both upcycled remnants of previous garments I am not mcbothered.

Tuesday, 14 October 2014

Viral Loading

The bugs have got me. For two weeks now I have been feeling somewhere between under the weather and really ill.

I haven't had much time or energy for non-essentials. And, over the last few days we have been battling a nasty dose of hand, foot and mouth which little bean picked up. He is covered in spots - and has a beard of red raw sores which make him look like a sickly Victorian urchin. It is not much fun, but today (day 4) was better than yesterday, so we think he is getting better.  Poor wee thing.

Thank heavens for: breatstmilk, ibuprofen, Calpol, jelly and custard.

Tuesday, 7 October 2014

Hand-made hand-me down (FO)

A long time ago, when the bean was small I discovered upcycling and refashioning. About then I made him some cute trousers with some of my old clothes - denim with a red stripe and some sweet tucks around the knees. I think the jelly bean might have worn them briefly and then they were passed onto another family with a baby boy to clothe.

Two weeks ago those mama-made toddler trews boomeranged their way back to us. I had sort of forgotten about them, - except for the odd glimpse in a few photos. Then that friend with the baby boy (now aged 4!) gave me a bag of too small boy things for the little bean, and there they were.

They fit the little bean perfectly -  and still have plenty of life left in them. I am putting them on him every chance I get and I'm super proud these hand-made trousers have lasted long enough to become hand-me downs!

Sunday, 5 October 2014

Wristwarmers (FO)

Once the Socksperimental socks were off the needles I cast on for another wee project I could take on the bus/to work/out and about.

The subtle change in weather and temperature over the last couple of weeks activated the autumn/winter knitting mojo, and I cast on a new pair of wristwarmers, using some left over yarn from last year. I'm not sure if they are destined for the long-range gift pile - or for me. They do match my hat...